Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    ds314

I’ve been attending Krav classes 3 days a week. I started taking Krav on 3/31/08. I have to admit since I starting taking Krav, I’m pretty sore all the time, alot of aches and pain. I think I’m sore because of Krav and Bas Rutten, not from the Gym. Krav and Bas have me moving in ways I normally do not move. I will be 44 in July. Before Krav I basically jogged about 5 miles per day and went to the gym 3 days a week so I was in fairly good shape when I started Krav. Are any of you, especially those of you who around my age or order sore all the time also?

Here is my current workout regimen.
    Krav – 3 times a week
    Bas Rutten MMA Workouts – At least 3 times per Week. Usually after Krav.
    Local Gym 3 – Times Per week
    Workout at the Gym
    120 push-ups
    60 dips
    50 chin-up/pull ups
    4 sets of rows
    4 sets of reverse curls
    3 sets of leg presses
    3 sets of shoulder shrugs
    3 sets of shoulder lifts
    2 sets of detoild side lifts

DS314

kmman

Re: Workouts & Krav

Overtraining?

mara-jade

I agree with KMMAN as well. It’s great to train and stay in shape, but you need to give your body time off to give it the time to recover. When I started, oh heck yeah but it was only like 1 day unless I did too much. In that case, MAYBE I might be sore a little longer but not more than that.

There are times when I can’t make it to class so when I come back, I’ll be a little more sore than usual. Other than that, my body doesn’t hurt all the time.

My 2 cents for what it’s worth

ds314

Okay – if I’m overtraining what would my training regimen look like or what do I need to give up?

DS314

Hey brother, at 44 you need more rest and more periodization. It’s not that your workout is super brutal, it’s that you don’t seem to be varying the workout to allow the body to recouperate. I would look into adding some more tools into your workout toolbox, maybe some Crossfit. Change things up, give the joints a chance to rest. Maybe look into taking a rest day at midweek. Check out member Guarddawg’s website, he lurks here from time to time. BTW, if any of my students felt like they could do a Bas workout after class, I’d feel like I let them down! It would be like a challenge, LOL.

kmman

At 43, Im sort of saying “This person is overtraining” and “Damn, I wish I could do that”. I think Jeremy is on the money here, he obviously knows. The fact that you can (and do) BAS after a class is strange. I know I cant and wouldnt.

Anyway, congratulate yourself for being in such good condition. Thats great. Just give those old creaky joints a rest every now and then. It’s a marathon not a sprint, yes….even at our age!

mara-jade

Well said Jeremy! DS – No one’s saying for you to give up, but your body’s needs to rest and recover. I’m in my 40’s and I do get sore still. I know when my body needs a break, even if I don’t want tothumbsup

Jeremy- Hubby came across the crossfit website yesterday while looking for some kettlebell videos for me.. OMG – that website has so much info. I think I read about crossfit from a post of yours – thanks:wav:

Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day….

ds314

Thanks guys! I understand. I think part of it also is that I’m not too limber. Would help if I was more limber also.

DS314

ds314

Don’t get me wrong I’m beat after my Krav classes. However I push myself to do more. And it depends which Bas regimen I do. For example is Krav class today when spent all of the class doing 360 and inside defences. Since we did not do a lot of punching I feel that I could do the Thai or Boxing CD 10 rounds. However if we did a lot of punching today I may want to do the All Around Workout instead. I’m think I would have to vary the workout. I’ll probably start doing the Bas after going to the gym instead after Krav. I may cut down going to the gym from 3 to 2 days a week and do a All Around Bas Workout instead. I’ll figure something out. I go to the doctor on Tuesday to get my foot x-rayed. Hopefully I will not have to take anytime off. However the foot is not getting better.

DS314

unstpabl1

Your overtraining, don’t have enough variety in your w/o and part of your program really isn’t supporting (isolation Bodybuild movements)your krav. I believe krav warm ups do similar bodyweieght exercises as your off day program. Read the xfit stuff. Read anything by Ross Enamit over at rosstraining.com. Look at your program and define the goal behind it or at least pick a weakness to improve for a cycle. Take active rst days every 3-5 days. Maybe even look into yoga or joint mobility sessions. Google YRG if you think yoga is a chick thing. I learned about it from the Dog Brother guys and some mma studs. The DB’ers were considered too brutal for the UFC. All sorts of great stuff out there but only you can decide on the priorities but you are definately neglecting Recovery. the longer you neglect it the closer you are to being out of krav due to injury. A side benefit is your krav will get better. Sometimes less truely is more

good luck

ds314

Thank you all!

DS314

johnl-d11

I dont think you’re overtraining.. How is your diet? A lot of muscle soreness can happen from a crappy diet and not eating clean food. Stick with high quality protien, lots of green veggies and fruits.

Also, like said, skip the isolation movements.. The push-ups, pull ups and dips are great, throw out the other stuff and add in squats (just body weight).. Make your workouts with reps like 21-15-9. Next time you go to the gym, try –
    21 push ups, dips, squats, pull ups
    15 – same
    9 – same

As fast as you can. If you’re feeling squirley one day.. go 21-15-12-9 ;):

Good luck!!

brickt9

I agree that it’s important for you to watch what you put in your body. People who do a lot of cardio need plenty of antioxidants. People who absorb a lot of shock need supplements to care for their joints (I like cod liver oil). Muscle work certainly requires good, clean protein. You also need to make sure you’re able to absorb nutrients – that your gut is in good condition. You can take enzyme and probiotic supplements to help with that.

Just keep in mind the total picture. As others have said, get enough rest, eat right, and yeah, you might find that you’re not actually training too hard. It depends. Its a process of elimination. Cover as many areas as you can, and problem spots should become evident.

Take care of your machine no matter how many miles are on it. I’m inspired by your regimen. Stay strong.

garddawg

From Coach Glassman:

World-Class Fitness in 100 Words:

■ Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds,
    some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep
    intake to levels that will support exercise but
    not body fat.

■ Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean,
    squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly,
    master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups,
    dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to
    handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds.
    Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast.

■ Five or six days per week mix these ele-
    ments in as many combinations and patterns
    as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy.
    Keep workouts short and intense.

■ Regularly learn and play new sports.

Really all you need to know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: