Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    clfmak

I was hanging out with my brother for the first time in a good while (he’s 21) and we were watching some old UFCs. He mentioned something about weapons, and that got us on some tangent, but here’s some things he said:

First, while watching Royce Gracie, he said that if you put some spikes protruding out the heel of your shoes (like spurs), you could really mess someone up in the guard with those short kidney kicks. This brought up some self defenes weapon issues (which he has a vague interest in). He pulled out his \”self defense weapon\”- his butane zippo style lighter. Kind of strange- I doubt you could get away with BURNING someone in self defense- but it may have some merit in defending against grabs and grappling. Then again, if you ignite their clothes you may be dealing with a flaming person in direct contact with you, possibly on top of you. Also, this would only work with those fast butane lighters, not the old fashined kind that you need to ignite like four times to get it started. The first thing that came to my mind was the \”matchbox knockout\” in Get Tough- that would probably be the best option. Aside from that, he wears a belt with a really heavy buckle, and is a pretty big guy.
    These were all some pretty strange ideas, and seemed more fight oriented than self-defense. Thats the kind of thing that will get you in trouble with the law afterwards. Anyway, just a few ideas.

anonymous

???

prekarious1

The lighter could of been something to hold in his hand while punching to make the fist tighter? Not quite sure what your getting at here but that is my best guess on it.

caliwt

Well Helio did wrangle horses! 😀 Cowboy boots alone would also help in this guard with the heel for thrust kick or the kidney shot and it has pointed toe 😆

I just watched some video of flower sellers in LA fighting over territory with belts. They took them off and where swinging the buckles at each other. Could be a good thing to practice.

8)

wim

Does the real story go something like this:

Me and my brother were sitting around, dropping acid, and watching old UFC fights…

la-revancha

This is funny and sad at the same time:

I was Xmas shopping last week at a nearby mall. There was a point when I took some of my purchased items back to the car and then returned inside. As I was walking inside, these two women began chasing each other and fighting right at the entrance. There were horrified children, wailling infants, gasping passebys, etc.

One of the women, while her husband tried to restrain her attacker, grabbed her baby’s stroller (which was folded up) and starting spearing it toward the constrained woman. It was sad to see these women ruining Christmas for their family and emotionally scarring kids in the process. How could the family ever look at the stroller in the same way again?

wim – LOL!!!!!!!

keeiii

I gotta agree with Little-Looper , that was the first time I broke out laughing while reading these forums

clfmak

I’m sorry- I guess \”weird\” wasn’t fair enough warning…

About fighting with belts- I was in Tijuana once (the Mexico/California border) and a bunch of these guys, who I think were vendors, took off their belts and started hitting some guy’s car with the buckles and kicking it. I wasn’t really sure why. I’ve actually got pretty decent at swinging around a belt buckle. In widely spaced out places about the world, people put their belt on over the loops and loosely secure it so they can whip it off fast. Its one of those strategies like carrying an OC spray in your hand when you walk through a parking lot- not something you do all the time- just when you get a bad feeling.

But anyway, there’s this car, and it runs on water, but the governent won’t let it out because of the oil industry…

anonymous

I can see how a belt would make a good weapon. You could really hurt someone if you hit him with the buckle and you also have a lot of reach with it. I don’t usually wear belts, but if I did I might think about using it if necessary.

But what ‘s with the lighter? Is it like a regular cigarette lighter kind of thing or more like a flame thrower? 😆 Does he carry that thing around with him all the time? If it’s a small flame I think it may not be that easy to get a fire started and if it’s a huge flame… well, I guess you are right it would be hard to convince the cops that you absolutely had to burn someone alive in self-defense! 😕

I think a lot of things can be used as weapons in a street fights. If you don’t wear belts or carry high powered lighters you might be able to use something else. Women may use their high heels or purses for example. Whatever it is you usually carry around with you I think there’s nothing wrong with considering how you might use that as a weapon in a street fight. It might sound weird to other people, but if you think it would work for you, go for it.

The use of belts for fighting was a bit more common in Finland a few decades back. The traditional Finnish costume has a knife and a belt and the belt has all kinds of metal things dangling from it. Some fighters used the knife in one hand and the belt in the other.
    But that was like waaaay back.
    But the belt is still effective weapon. In addition to the buckle some people in Finland sow pockets into their belts near the buckle and then add steel/lead plates to make it even heavier. The hard core guys sometimes when anticipating trouble grease their belts beforehand to make deployment faster.
    And no I am not kidding. It must be the lack of sun that makes some of us crazy:-)

armor-all

A lighter could be useful if you are fighting off some dude with a mullet and/or an overly hairy back…

bradm

Back in my early teen years (the 50’s) in Buffalo, a wide belt was a common weapon used in gang fights, along with knives, clubs, and what they called \”zip guns\”. Car radio antennas were also a good weapon of choice. A lot of guys would file down the edge of their belt buckle so they would easily cut a person if it was swung and hit them. The problem with that is some guys cut their hands on their own buckles – especially if they had to take off their pants in a hurry — 🙄

wim

I’d imagine that you’d really stifle your sex life with that… I can just imagine you or she goes for the belt buckle and… ouch! That’s it, mood’s over. No thank you.

jaeroo

Other Ideas

Perhaps the tried and true improvised weapon in my school days was the padlock wrapped around the middle finger. I’ve seen students get beat to a bloody pulp in schoolyard fights. I’ve also seen another improvised weapon as stated in the book \”Guide to Stopping Suicide Attackers\”. It emphasizes using a crushed soda can and then sharpening it to the point that it can be an edged weapon to be used in the most desperate of situations. Also, take a bunch of coat hangers, straighten them out, and then coil them together, they are now a sharp, pointed stabbing device. In a cafeteria, grab a fork and bend the front end of it. It is now a cutting weapon that can rip off an organ, especially the heart, and create a nasty, bloody wound. That’s been seen in prison incidents where an inmate was stabbed to death.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: