Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    clfmak

Not specific to UFC- more to MMA in general, but the topic name had a nice poetic quality to it.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is any concern of contracting an STD in a mixed martial art match. I ask this because occasionally you see to guys wrestling on the ground, with one on top, and at least one with a cut. Although its remote, there’s a possibility that with such close contact, contaminated blood could be exchanged (granted, lots of matches are ended when there’s a cut, especially now compared to old UFCs). Is there any sort of precautions against this?

ktulu

I’ve wondered this myself. Not as much STDs as blood borne diseases such as AIDS and hepatitis. Prior to the competition, are the fighters required to get tested?

jerry68

Wear a condom? 😆

But seriously, whenever you come in contact with blood, their is always a risk of disease transmission… HIV would be the biggy, but more likely is hepatitis. This is just a risk you take as a fighter. I boxed for years and never caught anything, but HIV was why Tommy Morrison had to quit boxing, so… just my $.02

mordechai

Student Athletes Contract Herpes While Wrestling

Dan DeRoos, KOIN News 6

NEWBERG, Ore. — A handful of Oregon high school wrestlers got herpes from practicing their sport.
    Concerned parents say they were left in the dark about the risk that their kids were taking.
    The problem is believed to have started when the Crater wrestling team picked up herpes simplex-1 during a tournament in Fresno, Calif. Before they knew the problem existed, Crater wrestled Grants Pass, and several members from both teams came down with the disease.

Cleared by doctors, several young men from Crater wrestled in last weekend’s Oregon Classic in Redmond.

That brings us to Monday night’s exhibition match at Newberg high against a visiting Japanese team. It’s not so much the match that parents were worried about. We found some parents whose sons wrestled against Crater this weekend and were told nothing of the problem.

\”No, we didn’t know about it until the middle of the match,\” Dennis Schmitz said.

Schmitz says he only found out because another angry parent brought it to his attention. And although the Crater kids were cleared by doctors to wrestle, parents feel they should have been told.

\”That was my biggest concern, was there was no information given, and the coaches didn’t even seem to know about it,\” Beverly Schmitz said.

\”If our kids end up get herpes for the rest of their lives because of that, there’s no excuse for that at all — none,\” Dennis Schmitz said.

In defense of the Newberg program, we did talk to the coach who says he does everything he can to keep the mats clean and disinfected. And the parents echoed that sentiment, saying they have no qualms about their sons wrestling in Newberg.

\”The team cleans the mats twice a day and the kids are very conscientious about hygiene,\” Dave Conant said.

So far, none of the Newberg kids have shown signs of herpes, which can take a couple of days to show up.

Many parents say that had they known, they would have let their sons decide whether or not to wrestle.

jerry68

Unless they were kissing or blowing each other in the locker room, I doubt if they can get herpes from wrestling.

mordechai

\”Unless they were kissing or blowing each other in the locker room, I doubt if they can get herpes from wrestling.\”

Wow, what a stupid statement. Herpes is a viral infection that spreads from skin to skin contact. Simplex 1, non-genital herpes, can be present and not be obvious in a sore, or could be obvious in a sore (cold sore or blister is a Herpe lesion).

In wrestling the is a lot of skin to skin contact, thus the HS1 virus can (and did) spread with relative ease. I dont have time to pull the data on thi outbreak, but I beleive it was noted in the MMWR.

Off to teach.

M

ktulu

This is gross!

Sage advice: Don’t let the fight go to the ground, you might get herpes.

dalamar

Mordechai is right! Herpes is extremely contagious and can be easily passed by sharing microscopic skin tissue cells! Genital contact is not needed as the virus is in skin tissue, and humans shed skin tissue like you wouldn’t believe. All it takes is for one kid to scratch his crotch before a match and he has a venereal-polluted hand.

Sorry for the gross post. ‘Nuff said.

mordechai

Here is a different high school wrestling herpes outbreak.

from the MMWR

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001552.htm

Epidemiologic Notes and Reports Herpes Gladiatorum at a High School Wrestling Camp — Minnesota
    In July 1989, the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) investigated an outbreak of herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) dermatitis (herpes gladiatorum) in participants at a Minnesota wrestling camp. The camp was held July 2 through July 28 and attended by 175 male high school wrestlers from throughout the United States. The participants were divided into three wrestling groups according to weight (group 1, lightest; group 3, heaviest). During most practice sessions, wrestlers had contact only with others in the same group. The outbreak was detected during the final week of camp, and wrestling contact was subsequently discontinued for the final 2 days.

A case was defined as isolation of HSV-1 from involved skin or eye or the presence of cutaneous vesicles. To identify cases, a clinic was held at the camp to obtain viral cultures and examine skin lesions. Additional clinical data were obtained from review of emergency department records at the facility where all affected wrestlers were referred for medical care. A questionnaire was administered to wrestlers by telephone following the conclusion of camp.

Clinical and questionnaire data were available for 171 (98%) persons. The mean age of these participants was 16 years (range: 14-18 years); 153 (89%) were white; 137 (80%) were high school juniors or seniors. The median length of time in competitive wrestling was 4 years.

Sixty (35%) persons met the case definition, including 21 (12%) who had HSV-1 isolated from the skin or eye (Figure 1). All affected wrestlers had onset during the camp session or within 1 week after leaving camp. Two wrestlers had a probable recurrence of HSV, one oral and one cutaneous, during the first week of camp. Lesions were located on the head or neck in 44 (73%) persons, the extremities in 25 (42%), and the trunk in 17 (28%). Herpetic conjunctivitis occurred in five persons; none developed keratitis. Associated signs and symptoms included lymphadenopathy (60%), fever and/or chills (25%), sore throat (40%), and headache (22%). Forty-four (73%) persons were treated with acyclovir.

Attack rates increased by weight group: of 55 wrestlers in group 1, 12 (22%) were affected; of 57 in group 2, 17 (30%); and of 59 in group 3, 31 (53%) (p=0.01). Thirty-eight (22%) wrestlers interviewed reported a past history of oral HSV-1 infection. The attack rate was 24% for wrestlers who reported a past history of oral herpes and 38% for wrestlers without a history of oral herpes (relative risk (RR)=0.6; 95% confidence interval (CI)=0.3-1.0). Twenty-three percent of affected wrestlers continued to wrestle for at least 2 days after rash onset. Athletes who reported wrestling with a participant with a rash were more likely to have confirmed or probable HSV-1 infection (RR=2.0; 95% CI=1.3-3.1). Reported by: JL Goodman, MD, EJ Holland, MD, CW Andres, MD, SR Homann, MD, RL Mahanti, MD, MW Mizener, MD, A Erice, MD, Univ of Minnesota Hospital and Clinic, Minneapolis; MT Osterholm, PhD, State Epidemiologist, Minnesota Dept of Health. Div of Field Svcs, Epidemiology Program Office, CDC.

Editorial Note
    Editorial Note: Herpes gladiatorum (cutaneous infection with HSV in wrestlers and rugby players) was first described in the mid-1960s (1-3). In 1988, an outbreak of herpes gladiatorum was reported among three Wisconsin high school wrestling teams (4). In a national survey of 1477 trainers of athletes, approximately 3% of high school wrestlers were reported to have developed HSV skin infections during the 1984-85 season (5). Lesions occur most often on the head and neck. Primary infection may cause constitutional symptoms with fever, malaise, weight loss, and regional lymphadenopathy. Ocular involvement includes keratitis, conjunctivitis, and blepharitis.

Transmission occurs primarily through skin-to-skin contact. Autoinoculatio

mordechai

More wrestling infections… Read to the bottom!!!

Pinning Down Skin Infections: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention in Wrestlers
    William L. Dienst, Jr, MD; Lowell Dightman, MD; Mark S. Dworkin, MD; Robert K. Thompson, MD
    Emergencies Series Editor: Warren B. Howe, MD

THE PHYSICIAN AND SPORTSMEDICINE – VOL 25 – NO. 12 – DECEMBER 97

——————————————————————————–

In Brief: Wrestling fosters skin infections such as herpes simplex, tinea corporis, and impetigo. Visual examination often suggests the diagnosis, but some lesions, like late-stage herpes, can mimic other conditions, like impetigo; laboratory studies therefore may be required. Drug therapy can mitigate an infection and help prevent recurrence. In addition, physicians must know when to disqualify a wrestler and how to prevent an outbreak through measures like good hygiene and immediate diagnosis.

To distinguish between herpes gladiatorum, tinea corporis, impetigo, and other common skin infections in wrestlers (table 1), physicians must carefully assess clinical and laboratory findings. In addition, clinicians must be able to prescribe optimal therapy, minimize transmission, and know when to disqualify a wrestler (table 2). We offer recommendations for handling cutaneous infections in wrestlers, based on the best available scientific analysis and on clinical judgment.

Table 1. Differential Diagnosis of Skin Infection in Wrestlers

Viral Infections
    Herpes simplex virus 1
    Herpes zoster
    Molluscum contagiosum
    Warts

Dermatophytic and Yeast Infections
    Tinea corporis
    Tinea cruris and pedis

Bacterial Infections
    Impetigo contagiosa
    Cellulitis
    Furuncles, carbuncles, and abscesses
    Superinfection of abrasions or eczema
    Acne vulgaris and folliculitis

Parasite Infestations
    Scabies
    Lice

Noninfectious Conditions
    Atopic dermatitis
    Contact (allergic) dermatitis
    Nummular eczema

Mord here..

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like other skin infections, herpes gladiatorum is an \”occupational hazard\” of wrestling (see \”Containing a Herpes Gladiatorum Outbreak,\” below). A nationwide survey (6) of athletic trainers suggested that 2.6% of high school wrestlers and 7.6% of college wrestlers had a herpes infection during the 1984-85 season. These numbers may be an underestimate because some rashes, particularly those in the latter stages of blistering and resolution, may not be recognized as HSV. This study also suggests that a wrestler’s age, and presumably the duration of an athlete’s exposure through wrestling, correlate with the rate of HSV infection.

!!!!!!!!2.6% of HS and 7.6% of college wrestlers have Herpes!! HOLY COW!!!
    Keep this in mind next time you do gorund fighting in class!!

I guess they all get the herpes from blowing each other in the locker room Jerry?

anonymous

STD’s, herpes, warts, acne, dermatitis, parasites…. 🙁 Geez, I guess now I’m kinda glad the ground fighting class was cancelled! 😆

clfmak

Wow, now i’m glad I didn’t wrestle in high school when I had the chance (although I was manhandled by a wrestler my sophomore year- damn grapplers!).

It mentioned that herpes gladiatorum (cool name for a disease) is also contracted through rugby. Any info on that? (I was thinking of joining a college rugby team).

mordechai

Yep!!

JAMA. 1984 Jul 27;252(4):533-5. Related Articles, Links

Transmission of herpes simplex virus type 1 infection in rugby players.

White WB, Grant-Kels JM.

Skin infections, both bacterial and viral, are endemic in contact sports such as wrestling and rugby football. In this report, we describe four cases of extensive cutaneous herpes simplex virus in players on a rugby team. All players had a prodrome of fever, malaise, and anorexia with a weight loss of 3.6 to 9.0 kg. Two players experienced ocular lesions associated with cutaneous vesicular lesions of the face. A third player, who had herpetic lesions on his lower extremity, experienced paresthesias, weakness, and intermittent urinary retention and constipation. All infected players on the team were forwards or members of the \”scrum,\” which suggests a field-acquired infection analogous to the herpetic infections seen in wrestlers (herpes gladiatorum). Considering the serious sequelae of recurrent herpes simplex keratitis, the traumatic skin lesions in rugby football players should be cultured for herpes virus, and infected individuals should be restricted from playing until crusted lesions have disappeared.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: