Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

Hoky Smokes, Bullwinkle – this is the best training device this side of simunitions! Wow – the reality of training under true stress is really brought to the surface with shock knife training.

For those of you not familiar with the shock knife, it’s basically a training knife that has a metal edge that goes around the knife blade. The attacker pushes a button and the metal edge is energized. The defender knows if he avoided the blade or not because any contact with the “blade” portion of the knife will zap him!

This has helped to drag the fighting spirit out of some of our officers who are somewhat less inclined to be aggressive. One almost broke my arm on Saturday night!

Just wondering if any of you have used these. I know that Ryan has some…

Re: Shock Knives

I’ve used them, and while I like the concept, the execution was far from ideal. Maybe I used an early version, but the switches on both knives went TU during the seminar and the over all construction seemed rather light duty. If they managed to beef them up and make them more “cop proof” that would be great, because I really like the idea.

mara-jade

I know Pete’s got them. I haven’t used them myself yet though one of the instructors decided to try it on my arm. Um, yeah – positive reinforcement – positive I don’t wanna be shockedrofl2

stevetuna

quote Jeremy Stafford:

I’ve used them, and while I like the concept, the execution was far from ideal. Maybe I used an early version, but the switches on both knives went TU during the seminar and the over all construction seemed rather light duty. If they managed to beef them up and make them more “cop proof” that would be great, because I really like the idea.

Time will tell, Jeremy. So far, it seems like I’m way more likely to break before the knives! They appear to be relatively sturdy, but I agree with you that the jury is still out as to if they’re cop-proof or not…

All I know is that the least aggressive member of the SRT team made me howl in pain from some sort of arm bar / kimura mix!

kmcat

They had shock knives at the Winter Camp in Broomfield this year.

They got your attention. I would have liked a little bit more opportunity to work with them, but what I did was good.

In one drill I watched, the attacker had the knife and the defender did a knife defense, and then was touched by the shock strip and let go of the arm+knife and the attacker slashed the defender and they jumped some more!

If you could work with it some more it would help train that reaction out of you.

I had an attacker on me, and learning from the guy that I watched I was not letting go of the arm!

stevetuna

quote KMCat:

I had an attacker on me, and learning from the guy that I watched I was not letting go of the arm!

That was exactly what I saw – the rest of the defense may have been thrown out the window, but everyone damn sure had my arm locked out!

devilnuts

I’ve thought about getting one for my own sick purposes… Do they go through clothing? I wonder how many layers…?

kmcat

At the Winter Camp people were wearing t-shirts, both cotton and synthetic material and the shock went through just fine.

The one fellow I watch jump back and let go had a long sleeved synthetic shirt on.

edsko

I’ve heard about these before! Where would one get them?

don

http://www.shocknife.com/

edsko

Well that was easy 🙂

I attended Ryan’s knife defense seminar (aka 7-hour azz whoop’in session as I like to refer to it) earlier this year. Funny how the level of FOCUS of the entire class went to defcon 5 during the defenses. I made my defense but the knife went to the floor & a mad scramble insued between my attacker & myself & I got a taste of the shock knife. The rest of my defenses we’re very “CLEAN” & with intense FOCUS. I loved the seminar.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Jeremy Stafford:

the switches on both knives went TU during the seminar.

Stafford youíll be happy to know that set is currently being refurbished by shockknife and I should have them back in brandspankingnew service soon.

I have kind of beat on them a bit. :dunno:

Good to know! Christian and Dan Sovetky have been drilling me with live knife. That really works the focus….

la-revancha

I’d also like to see them make a version that can still shock when the person is sweaty/wet.
    Let me know if this already exists.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: