Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Pre-workout energy supplement

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    vwr32

Do you take anything at all? RedBull? Coffee? I know some people like the Spike Shooters, but that’s an awful lot of caffeine (300mg per can) imo.

Recently decided to try N.O. Xplode (grape flavored) from BSN. So far it’s goodbye to everything else.

jjbklb

If you had a meal within a few hours of class,you don’t need to take any ‘booster’.Your glycogen stores will see you through an hours intensive workout.
    Just stay hydrated.

jaeroo

Creatine

I generally don’t work out until about 3-4 hours after I eat a meal. Prior to an intense workout or practice session, I take a chewable tablet of creatine monohydrate w/ about 6-8 oz. of water. For sessions taking longer than an hour, I use sports drinks instead of water. I wouldn’t recommend milk/dairy products (builds up lactic acid) and caffeine/energy drink (diuretics, which can dehydrate you and bad for your heart). Save the caffeine for the non-workout times when relaxing at your home or coffee shop.

vwr32

Don’t think I’m too crazy about eating before a workout… and during the week the workouts come at 6am. I plan on getting back to class soon, recovering this week from a cold/back injury and last week was mini-marathon, before that money, before that laziness… always something.

As for the creatine monohydrate, I’ve always heard the time to take it is *after* a workout, so that’s when I’ve been taking it. Maybe it doesn’t really matter lol. http://www.ehow.com/how_9539_creatine.html

Not too crazy about the massive amounts of caffeine either, makes my heart race etc. But I really haven’t found eating to be comparable to the level of workout I get from something dedicated to boosting energy. Suggestions? My current diet is sort of eat as I go, but this week has been higher protein sources and 4-5 smaller meals. Eggs, chicken, turkey, veggies, whey protein supplement, yogurt in the afternoon, salads, olive oil, Lipton Diet Green Tea x 2, water water water etc. So far this week I’ve lost some good weight… weekends are the tough part tho. We’ll see how I do.

Results from this week:
    Mon: 199.5
    Tue: 196.0
    Wed: 193.5
    Thr: 193.0
    Fri: 191.5
    Sat: 190.0

Monday I went all out and pulled a muscle in the lower back… kept doing exercises the rest of the week just avoided anything that required bending. Wife had to switch out weights on the bench etc. I’ve also been sick this week and the only thing that kept me in the gym with a hurt back and cold was the booster. Haven’t been able to breathe because of the cold, so didn’t do cardio this week at all. My weight training is a modification of \”tabata\” approach which I’m crediting for a lot of the belly I’ve lost. The modification being I try to go as heavy as possible and do a wider range of muscle groups during a full hour workout. Saturdays I scale way back and increase reps to avoid overtraining.
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-046-training

The N.O. Xplode is about 100mg caffeine per scoop, and has some creatine as well. It’s a pre-workout booster, and for me 1.5 scoop is easily 4-5 hours of wow. A full two scoops makes me nauseous. I have to force myself to stop working out on this stuff. Considering a Grande Starbucks weighs in at the top of the caffeine charts for total amount (372mg), I don’t feel I’m overdoing it with the xplode. And none of the normal side effect so far as with lots of caffeine (jittery, anxiety etc). At least not at 1.5 scoop anyway. It has eliminated any sports drinks I used to use, and now if I want something other than plain water during the workout I have \”Vita Coco\” (100% natural coconut water which contains electolytes in the 660mg potassium range per its label).

http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database/

I respect the \”all natural\” approach and understand some folks see it as the only way to go. It just hasn’t yielded the type of results I see with supplementation. Would love to see a menu or meal suggestion those from the all natural group rely on for the upcoming big workout. For the mini-marathon, carb’ing up the night before was suggested. But not sure if that really helped… still relied on the PowerPak Gu energy and SportsBeans during the race. Seems the high carbs would add pounds over time wouldn’t it?

thx for the input so far

xkirian

N.O.Xplode is a solid supplement :).

Kirian

greenbeanie
    giant-killer

I have a meal about 3 -4 hours before class. Just water during the workout. Works fine.

kravi

I don’t use any supplement.
    But I used to drink Maxim’s energy mix (when cycling long distances) and it works very well

http://www.maxim.lv/products/energymix.html

vwr32- I am concerned about the weight loss numbers you’re posting. Seriously.. 10lbs in a week is not safe or healthy. Is this the first week that you’ve started trying to really cut down? If so..you might be okay and it will slow down, but it always concerns me when I see numbers like that.

Just be careful- the last thing you want to do is compromise your metabolism and mess up your body later. Weight loss like that tells me you may not be eating enough, and your body won’t enjoy that and go into starvation mode.

Trust me on this one..I’ve been working on losing weight for awhile. I’ve lost almost 60lbs so far and had to deal with a plateau for a brief time because I wasn’t eating enough to lose (figure that one out, right? lol).

Anyway, that’s just my .02 cents. Good luck with the supplement situation.

Jenn

megandw

People who know me know that whenever I do several classes (or hours) in a day, I usually bring a grocery bag full of food. I can never eat a big meal before, but if I ever get a break, a bite of fruit or a power bar can be enough to sustain me. Circus Animal crackers have been a favorite among some people who come to class and take my food, but I prefer healthy snacks to boost me through.

giant-killer

Don’t let bullies steal your lunch. Stomp ’em!! 😈 8)

rhundraco

Don’t forget post-workout supplementation, either

Hi All,

First post for me! I just got my level 2 Krav here in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I’m having fun and kicking ass.

I did want to say that while some people might need a boost pre-workout, depending on your energy levels, don’t forget that after an intense physical training session it is important to give the body back what it needs to grow and keep recovery strong.

Eating the right meals or taking the right supplements post-workout (I do this after Krav and weight-training), can really enhance energy, recovery, and just make you feel stronger.

I’ve been researching this for several years, and I can say that the information on http://www.johnberardi.com and http://www.t-nation.com is where it’s at.

Other than that, it’s nice to be here! And I’m looking forward to my next Krav class. Had my wisdom teeth taken out recently and took a week off, and I’m going nuts!

Richard

vwr32

Re:

quote \”BttrflyFairytale\:

vwr32- I am concerned about the weight loss numbers you’re posting. Seriously.. 10lbs in a week is not safe or healthy. Is this the first week that you’ve started trying to really cut down? If so..you might be okay and it will slow down, but it always concerns me when I see numbers like that.

Just be careful- the last thing you want to do is compromise your metabolism and mess up your body later. Weight loss like that tells me you may not be eating enough, and your body won’t enjoy that and go into starvation mode.

Trust me on this one..I’ve been working on losing weight for awhile. I’ve lost almost 60lbs so far and had to deal with a plateau for a brief time because I wasn’t eating enough to lose (figure that one out, right? lol).

Anyway, that’s just my .02 cents. Good luck with the supplement situation.

Jenn

Yes, first week of the diet/tabata style exercising. Also still have a cold, so that may be contributing.

Sunday was 189.5
    Monday (today) 190.5

I feel like I’m eating enough, 4 small meals with added whey protein supplement. I am also intentionally adding things to the diet which are supposed to increase metabolism such as putting red pepper on my eggs in the morning. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9139174&dopt=Abstract

Plus it gives the eggs a bit of a kick. 😀

Also green tea instead of diet drinks. http://www.japanesegreenteaonline.com/weightloss.htm

Never been a fan of the adkins approach to diet, so I’m careful to maintain a mix of proteins fats and carbs. I’m just kinda picky about where each of those come from. Fruits are almost out. Too many calories.

RhunDraco, thanks for the post. I’m a fan of t-nation too. Post workout is usually followed by a small meal containing some sort of decent protein such as chicken, edamame, or quinoa… as well as whey protein supplement mixed with milk (getting whey and caesin sources that way), and creatine monohydrate. Have CellMass on order now to replace the creatine. Not a fan of the loading/cycling on and off business. With the cellmass, it’s estherized creatine so no need for all that. Plus it has glutamine. Are you taking anything post workout for recovery or eating anything in particular?

rhundraco

Re:

quote \”vwr32\:

RhunDraco, thanks for the post. I’m a fan of t-nation too. Post workout is usually followed by a small meal containing some sort of decent protein such as chicken, edamame, or quinoa… as well as whey protein supplement mixed with milk (getting whey and caesin sources that way), and creatine monohydrate. Have CellMass on order now to replace the creatine. Not a fan of the loading/cycling on and off business. With the cellmass, it’s estherized creatine so no need for all that. Plus it has glutamine. Are you taking anything post workout for recovery or eating anything in particular?

No problem! Yeah, I have two post-workout mixes that I use. I just bought some Biotest Surge Wild Raspberry and I really dig the flavor. I can tell it helped me power through my last kettlebell session. I just do a single serving, and sip half during a session and the rest immediately after.

The other mix is a custom Surge-like mix that I made at Protein Factory. Not as tasty as Surge, but seems to work OK. I’ll probably stick with Surge from now on unless I find something better.

Biotest, the company that owns t-nation, has some damn good stuff. I’m currently taking several of their products and so far I’m very satisfied.

When I remember, I also take BCAAs between meals, but that gets expensive.

No, I’m not a shill for Biotest. 🙂

vwr32

Re:

quote \”RhunDraco\:

No problem! Yeah, I have two post-workout mixes that I use. I just bought some Biotest Surge Wild Raspberry and I really dig the flavor. I can tell it helped me power through my last kettlebell session. I just do a single serving, and sip half during a session and the rest immediately after.

The other mix is a custom Surge-like mix that I made at Protein Factory. Not as tasty as Surge, but seems to work OK. I’ll probably stick with Surge from now on unless I find something better.

Biotest, the company that owns t-nation, has some damn good stuff. I’m currently taking several of their products and so far I’m very satisfied.

When I remember, I also take BCAAs between meals, but that gets expensive.

No, I’m not a shill for Biotest. 🙂

Thanks for the info. Will look around and see what others are saying about the Surge and maybe give it a shot if I’m not happy with the CellMass. I was aware of some of the BioTest products (Spike Shooter, Tribex) but didn’t know they had the recovery products.

As for the bcaa, I know what you mean. One of the goals with my diet has been to try to eliminate the need for bcaa supplement via select proteins.

quote :

The best food sources of the three Branched chain amino acids, L-leucine, L-isoleucine, and L-valine, include meats, nuts, soy, and whey proteins. Seperately, the best dietary sources of L-isoleucine include; chicken, chickpeas, eggs, fish, lentils, rye, and most seeds. L-leucine sources include; brown rice, beans, and whole wheat. L-valine sources: dairy products, grain, and mushrooms.

http://www.supplementnews.org/branched-chain-amino-acids/

The quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is described this way: It is an important addition to a vegetarian diet because it is very high in protein for a grain. Quinoa is an excellent choice as part of a weight loss diet. It’s slow-releasing carbohydrates help to maintain blood sugar levels.
    http://www.annecollins.com/diet_foods/quinoa.htm

Technically, it’s not really a grain… but u wouldn’t know it to taste it. Just like rice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: