Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Level 1 Test was Today!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

Re: Level 1 Test was Today!!!

quote Old Grappler:

…and it’s all good, Mike.thumbsup I understand your point, and certainly didn’t take it as a personal shot. .

thumbsup

satilan

quote unstpabl1:

Sorry you feel that way and decided to tell me what and where my place is. Oh well. I’ll call you first to ask permission and whats appropriate for me to comment on and where. I don’t know what I did before you came here

I understand your frustration with my comment, I’m sorry it made you react in this way. It wasn’t my intention.

quote unstpabl1:

i went to great lengths to explain my POV and to still be encoouraging.

Old Grappler seems to agree, so that’s all that matters to me.

quote unstpabl1:

And by your analogy maybe a guy with a TKd black belt that hasn’t trained in 10 years could take a 12 hour course and be an instructor and should start at level 5. Maybe thats krav, but that mentality posted on forum is what leads detractors to label the krav here as watered down. In over 1000 posts here, I’ve never let that mentality go unchecked. .But you know what…Why should I give a **** about the preception of the system or the mentality of its students, it really isn’t my place…. from now on I won’t comment.

First of all, anyone can say whatever they want on this forum, including you. And if I feel like it, I will tell you that you’re wrong – b/c I can also say whatever I want, got it? Now, I hope you realize that I was not saying it is not your place to say things but that I felt like although you were correct in general, this thread was not the place and time b/c we need to congratulate Grappler and not take him down. Appearently, I didn’t think that saying you didn’t intend to bum him down was enough to not do so… Again, Old Grappler seems to be okay with it, so I retract that statement.

quote unstpabl1:

Students learn faster and better by looking at the journey not the technique collecting. People like collecting belts and levels but the truth is its not the quanity that makes the difference its the depth. Depth comes from time and reps to internalze it. Until its internalized its not there when you need it. As a student you then have to spend alot of time correcting bad habits. It is in the students best interest to really hone the beginning material in anything, but most rush thru it to get to the good crap. Pointing this out to an enthusiastic proud student is as important as pointing it out to the frustrated confused one. If you master the fundamentals of learning, regardless of what it is, you can learn to do anything fairly quickly because you’ll put the time in to learn it correctly in the first place. If you don’t get what and why I took the time to post I understand, but someone will read it and get it and it will help them.

Couldn’t agree more.

quote unstpabl1:

The military and the civilian here have very different ROE’s. And the civilian needs the empty hands skills more. If it was the other way around you’d spend a hell of a lot more time training krav. Besides which combat conditioning in the military is an intensive chunk of training time on a military training schedule. Krav factors that into their agenda

This is a point where I slightly disagree, but we’ll leave that to a different thread.

quote unstpabl1:

Underestimating anyone is not a trait I have.

I never claimed it was.

quote unstpabl1:

The End..Take it for what its worth
    Mike

I did.

unstpabl1

quote Satilan:

I understand your frustration with my comment, I’m sorry it made you react in this way. It wasn’t my intention.

Old Grappler seems to agree, so that’s all that matters to me.

First of all, anyone can say whatever they want on this forum, including you. And if I feel like it, I will tell you that you’re wrong – b/c I can also say whatever I want, got it? Now, I hope you realize that I was not saying it is not your place to say things but that I felt like although you were correct in general, this thread was not the place and time b/c we need to congratulate Grappler and not take him down. Appearently, I didn’t think that saying you didn’t intend to bum him down was enough to not do so… Again, Old Grappler seems to be okay with it, so I retract that statement.

I got no problem with you disagreeing with anything I say. Thats Life. BFD. I love disagreements cause you learn stuff. I even read disagreements over a few times to see what I can learn.

I’m not frustrated with your comments I’m frikken Pissed:angry: As I said I don’t mind a disagreement at all. I’ve had many here with some of the top guys in this system but none of them ever told me “WHAT” and “WHERE” I could post. To me there is a big difference. You decided to put me And tell me where my place was. I take huge offense to that. And I read it for a bit before posting so as not to overreact and keep the point I was trying to make on focus.

I post on forums for one of two reasons “to ask questions or to help”…period…Its time consuming as I don’t type. In the middle of my post to you I realized that its not worth the time to comment and realized I shouldn’t be commenting here anyway. Everyone has the right to comment here and should. But why should I care to take the time to do so.I don’t take krav and more than likely never will because I don’t like contracts on gyms. So it really doesn’t make sense that I’m here. So I decided not to comment on things krav anymore

I believe you should be here as you offer a connection to krav in both Israel and the US. But this is the second time you misinterputed my posts, so I’m offering the suggestion that you seek to understand first before telling someone their place or that they don’t know **** as in the previous thread. Though I still hope that you’ll post here

vwr32

quote Satilan:

this thread was not the place and time b/c we need to congratulate Grappler and not take him down

There are but a few individuals here willing to say what needs to be said, when it needs to be said in my opinion. Without them, the board runs the risk of becoming nothing more than a congratulatory hug-fest in a warm and fuzzy world of unicorns and rainbows. It wasn’t that long ago Ryan was receiving hate-rep points for doing nothing more than posting a link to snopes.com as a response to a chain email aimed at “protecting women”. I’d much rather see someone’s pride a little bruised than something go unchecked. It was entirely appropriate to address this issue here, and unstpable1 did so without attacking anyone.

The flip side of the coin tho, is that Satilan is acting in good conscience when he’s trying to intercept someone being “taken down”. I disagree however, that merely addressing the issue when it is brought up is tantamount to letting the air out of someone’s balloon. Would it really be better to say, “hey old grappler, congrats!” in this thread, then start another one where we talk about the subject as if he’s not here? I told unstpabl1 I was gonna lurk for a while because this board had become too sensitive in defending egos… but this topic was just too tempting so I don’t care who’s ego I’m trampling. rofl2

Getting back to the topic… I have to admit I think I was advanced too soon. I spent a long time in lvl 1, but still didn’t feel confident that I had mastered the movements. To my credit, I had physically trained in class for all of the material on the test… but didn’t feel it was second nature yet. I passed, but in my own opinion I went from being among the best of the worst (noobs), to being the worst of the best (lvl2). It was a little painful to have my instructor recently tell me he didn’t think I’m ready for some more serious sparring in the ring… but he’s right. I bew-hewed a bit, then realized he’s right and have started getting more serious in my home drills.

Old Grappler, congrats on the promotion. I don’t think for a moment your instructors would pass you if they didn’t think you were ready, so I do put some stock in their judgement. Unstpabl1 has some valid points concerning the issue imo, I’m glad you’re not taking them personally. Not that I need to tell you, just stating the obvious that there’s a lot to be learned other than simply regurgitating technique… such as working safely with your partner and fine tuning motor skills. Bypassing that process is a recipe for injury or maybe instilling a false sense of confidence. I think you have your work cut out for you to cover ground you barely saw in level one, but it sounds like you’re up for the challenge. thumbsup

Back to lurking. 😎

satilan

unstpbl1, so far you have added a lot of flavor and knowledge to this forum and I would hate to be the reason for you to ever leave. I have apologized for having pissed you off or frustrated you or what ever and if you’re still pissed about me telling you what and where I think you should post something, then get pissed – it’s not my problem and I frankly don’t care, there is just nothing more I can do about it.
    vwr32, thanks for your very constructive comments. You’re right, this place should not become a happy and pink forum of sweet congrats and mazel tov’s. I just felt like some of unstpbl’s comments were a little untactful for this thread and laid down my own opinion.

unstpabl1

quote Satilan:

I would hate to be the reason for you to ever leave. . I just felt like some of unstpbl’s comments were a little untactful for this thread and laid down my own opinion.

:OhMy: Not leaving the forum. I would never leave because a few people disagreed with me. In fact I’d hang around and post more, just to piss em’ off:dunno: Understood your point, but if you go back and reread the posts you should see how tactful I was trying to be. I got no problem with the opinion.. Sometimes I say things “Instructors” can’t.

I am agreeing with you to the degree that its not my place to comment on krav here or on other forums. Its a little hypocritical don’t ya think seeing I don’t train in it. Why promote a system I’m not involved in nor probably not be able to be involved with. Seems like not the best use of my time. A realization I had a while back and hadn’t been posting much the last few months. Has nothing to do with you

policynutz

Congratulations, I remember passing my first grading. Just an observation though; it seems on this forum, that way too many people are just too focused on testing and achieving levels, rather on really immersing themselves in the system for their own welfare. At the end of the day, the ultimate goal is to survive in an increasingly brutish world. That being said, I completely understand that your desire to test was in anticipation of being allowed to take level 2 classes. This is where I have reservations, not at you of course, but the way KMWW makes you slowly grade up the ladder. It is this gradual learning process that causes students to focus more on progression of levels rather than solidifying the technique in the anticipation of getting on to ‘bigger and better things’, and of course the training suffers more than anything. Unstpapl1 pointed out a great point, that for civilians there is NO rush like military and LE personnel, and that civilians must build their instincts based upon repitions. This does not happen when students are racing through levels with the anticipation doing more advanced techniqes or weapon defences. If the teaching system would be better rounded out to constantly expose each student gradually to different techniques based upon a rotating syllabus, rather than focusing on the same techniques week in and week out, this would eliminate the flaw of premature progression, students would get much more out of their training, and the training would end up being much less watered down. But again, this is NOT the wrong doing of the student.

old-grappler

That’s a great point…..and I agree to some extent.

Level 2 was really my goal. I have many training options now to continue to hone my skills and understand the system. I’m in no rush to level 3. My biggest reason for getting to 2 at the pace I did is for the fight class. ONce my instructor thinks I’m ready, I will make it a very regular part of my training. It is very important for me to learn not only the philosophy and technique, but to apply it in as “live” a situation as possible. I have always learned best with a combination of technique and live action…or at least I did in my competitive wrestling days….which is all I really have to compare.

mara-jade

Grappler – Best wishes on your next step in training. Passing that first test is a BIG deal.thumbsup

I have to say though – my classes are NOT the ‘same techniques’ week in and week out. Sorry, but that statment bugs me. Showing techniques again after a time isn’t a bad thing. That’s how newbies can get in and not feel they’re behind. You missed one class, don’t worry, it’ll come back around:D:

I’ve been with my center four years now. Yes, they DO teach the standard level classes but they’re NEVER taught the same. Granted, there’s only many ways to do certain moves, but I’ve seen since I started and up till now how they make it challenging. There’s NO way I can say I”m ever bored with a class, being it my own level or below. We’ve done 1)multiple attackers, 2)lie face down and when your name is called, find your partner and save them, 3)find them in a group of people, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Now as to learning other things, not in the standard curriculum, all I can say is talk to your center. I’ve always been encouraged at mine to give feedback on how a class is or if there is something I’d new like to see.

Now as to repetition, for the benefit of the newbies, let me say once you do earn your belt, you’re STILL responsible for those moves at the next level. When you test for 2, you’ll be test on moves in level 2 and level 1. This includes any moves that may have been added since you last tested. As an example, when I took my level 2 test, groundwork moves didn’t exist. Now studying for level 3 I’ve been going back and asking instructors for help on the new 2 stuff. Saying ‘all those weren’t there before’ when I test ain’t gonna cut itrofl2

I’d love to have my green belt but being away pretty much last year, it’s gonna take more time. I’m NOT giving it up, but testing now – just not ready. I’m really getting there though. All I can say on testing, it wasn’t forced on me and I wanted to test. Everyone has their own decision to make on that.

mara-jade

Knew I forgot something..Dangit!

My center can’t be the only one that has combined classes. Depending on the time frame we have combined KM classes 1/2, 2/3 and 3/4 so that being the case, I STILL get to learn new stuff and not my level to bootthumbsup

psyops

Sparring and level 2……

One has nothing to do with the other. You either can apply the technique or you can’t. Applying the technique with gloves and shin guards is not even close to real. So I am confused as to why any instructor would tell a student of a self defense system that sparring is consideration at level 2.

The other thing that I have seen is that students tend to think that each technique must be mastered before moving on. This is wrong. No one “masters” a technique without doing it over the span of a lifetime. I know top level instructors in Krav Maga and other systems who are technical wizards. They know everything there is to know about specific techniques. Yet they will get their asses handed to them in a violent altercation. Why? Because they don’t have real time experience. That’s why! Yes I said it. Most instructors in any system are teaching theory. They have never been in a real violent attack. They have only heard about it.

So mastering “technique” means nothing. Being able to apply the technique at a level equal to ones ability is more important. When I evaluate a student I take their overall performance into consideration. Very rarely does a level 2 student get invited to fight class at our school. We need to see them move more in class. We need to gauge his/her aggresiveness and most importantly awareness. So sparring, while fun and I believe eventually neccesary for students who wish to move up in the system, is not the main method of determining ones ability to test up!

policynutz

When I said “the same techniques over and over again”, I was refering to doing only level 1 stuff, or level 2 stuff exclusively. Obviously there are many ways to teach the same technique and shake things up a bit. However, I was refering to only gradually being exposed to the system, rather than being exposed to the system in its entirety and training on a rotating schedule. Like I said, I’m not exactly sure how you KMWW guys do it, but I was under the impression that that is the way students progress.

mara-jade

That’s why I said if there are those who feel that way, talk to your center. We had an Intro Gun/Knife class (just finished recently). Weapons aren’t shown normally until level 4 BUT for this class if you successfully passed Level 1 you could take it. Now granted, it was VERY basic weapon techniques so we didn’t get shown everything. I”ve seen some other moves due to being in my 3/4 classes.

If you DON”T ask, how do you know they won’t teach it?:D:

johnl-d11

Congrats!!!

vwr32

quote vwr32:

I told unstpabl1 I was gonna lurk for a while because this board had become too sensitive in defending egos…

Just wanted to retract this comment. Clearly I was wrong. :):

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: