Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    psyops

That’s right you read it correctly! I want to talk about the Dojo Ho. The Dojo Ho is an interesting creature. He or she belongs to 3 or 4 different schools at the same time. They are convinced that this will make them more proficient at a specific system by studying all. They come to class and suddenly they are moving differently. They are kicking differently. They are using “techniques from another system” because they are convinced that their “ground and pound” is better now than it was before.

The Dojo Ho is often asking the instructor ridiculous questions because he/she is trying to mentally manage their own confusion from being involved with so many different systems at the same time. The Dojo Ho is constantly trying to invite other students to one of his/her many classes spread out all over town. Ahhhhhh yes the Dojo Ho is a sight to behold. These guys/girls are a very good source of entertainment. If you know of a Dojo Ho. Please share your encounters with the Dojo ho!

giant-killer

Re: Dojo Ho’s!

Not sure I’ve met a”dojo ho”, but I guess excessive cross-training can be confusing. Some can be beneficial however. I suppose the key is not to overdo it.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Oh pick me, I’m a dojo-ho!

I’m kidding but I do know lots of guys who train KM and MT and BJJ and Escrima

Some of us like to think of it as being well rounded.

leejam99

There’s nothing wrong with being a dojo ho as you call it. Before i started Krav, i did many different things. I still take MT and MMA training at other schools. Like sean said, “being well rounded”.

But I do definitely agree and have a problem with those people that try to inject their opinions or techniques from other systems in one of my Krav classes or vise versa. everyone should respect the school they are at and the instructions that they are being given and not disrupt the class with, “well…at my other xxx school, we do it this way..”. ohhh….i hate those people! 🙂 thats about as bad as the WHAT IF questions.

If you want to be a dojo ho, you should learn from each school/systems and than digested on your own, figure out what works for you, than use it but DON’T try to inject it during a class without being asked to. If i wanted your opinion..i would of asked for it. 🙂

James

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

That’s funny I was actually thinking of you when I said “lots of guys” because of the Bas certification. Congrats on passing your test~

leejam99

thanks!

I ended up doing some TKD for a while because my kicks were laughable at best. Luckily it fixed up my form and ballance and I got the hell out of there. I have seen people do what you’re talking about though.

Taking another fighting style/martial art to supliment or help out with an area you are weak in can have very positive results. On the other hand, trying to act like you’re king shit because you are a novice in 5 different styles in your second year of training… Well that just makes you a Dojo Ho.

J-

clfmak

I thought a dojo ho was something completely different.

vwr32

quote CLFMak:

I thought a dojo ho was something completely different.

I couldn’t think of a nice way to say that, but was definitely expecting a thread with pics. Well said.

oldkravdude

Ya know, if your krav school is doing it right you should be set for years. Look at the LA school, they have krav, ground, muay thai, Fight, etc. The other classes are taught with a lean towards real self defense and learning other things to make you safer and a better fighter. It’ll take years to get all that down, then go look at something else to supplement your training. My .02

kravmaga-ism

how about “dojo ho’s” that perform other styles in class but do not even perform them correctly?

psyops

Yes!

ROFLMFAO!!! That is a true Dojo Ho move!

jjk

“There’s no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat.” – Bruce Lee

leejam99

“be water my friend.” – Bruce Lee

James Lee
    no i’m not related..

la-revancha

quote Psyops:

That’s right you read it correctly! I want to talk about the Dojo Ho. The Dojo Ho is an interesting creature. He or she belongs to 3 or 4 different schools at the same time. They are convinced that this will make them more proficient at a specific system by studying all. They come to class and suddenly they are moving differently. They are kicking differently. They are using “techniques from another system” because they are convinced that their “ground and pound” is better now than it was before.

I wouldn’t lump everybody crosstraining into that category. It again boils down to goals. I currently cross train at 3 different facilities. For one, I can separate my km mentality/biomechanics from my judo from my bjj. Secondly, its fun! Nothing like hitting drop seoi nage or a meathook triangle on a guy twice your size. Thirdly, it keeps your ego in check. My KM black belt doesn’t stop those shodans from tossing my a$$ or those bjj purples and browns from destroying me on the mat.

As my RHEK amigos would say, you need support systems in the case that the initial pluck, bearhug defense, or 360 don’t work in the moment. NOT saying they are designed to fail…but even monkeys fall out of trees sometimes. In addition, I advocate rigorous PRESSURE TESTING the krav technique with variables (fatigue, adrenalization, noxious verbal exchange before attacks, strongly resistant attackers, multiple attackers). Tweaking the variables should be visited once the basics are down. Some cross training can help in the preparation for a plan B. Frankly, when I have students come in with a background, I encourage them to integrate their training INTO the krav, as long as they adhere to Krav principle.

That’s just me, though.

I’m also not saying that cross training is for everybody. The uncoordinated have a tough enough time with footwork, hip sponsorship, shrimping, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: