Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Certified vs. Apprentice Instructor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kravron

Can someone please explain the difference between a certified and apprentice instructor in full?

I have heard many things and am trying to clarify this for myself.

To my current knowledge an apprentice instructor is someone who is learning all they need to know to become an instructor from a certified instructor. From what I know this eliminates the need for the full phase training and allows the apprentice to attend the certification course directly. The funny part is when I look on the website the Training Certification Courses and the Phase Training courses are on the same dates?

Ack…I am so confused.

jops

Anyone from HQ correct me if I am wrong. This is how I understand the process works:

An apprentice instructor is under the tutelage of a Certified instructor, usually the head instructor of the facility. This means that He/She will assist in class, help create a training curriculum, etc…as a certified instructor would. When the time is ready, they will either:

A) Fly to headquarters for 10 days to get certified

or

B) Have someone from headquarters come to the site for 3(?) days to
    officially certify someone as a KM instructor.

kravron

That was similar to my understanding as well. Hopefully someone from HQ will bring the final word for both of us. Now here is another question.

Yesterday in the central ohio post concerning instructors I was informed that even if an instructor is certified to teach they must teach with a liscened school as well. One of the main reasons I want to become an instructor is that I am in the Military and move around alot. I always hoped that as a certified instructor I could hold classes on military bases where Krav is not available. I also see a rather large untapped resource for Krav being taught on Military bases, this would allow me to apply for permissive TDY’s to attend phase training to advance my own level. Not all bases, especially ones all over the world are close to/have access to liscensed facilities and after having been enrolled in Krav for over a year now I never want to live without it.

Now my understanding is that even as a certified instructor I cannot do that as base gyms would not be considered liscensed facilities. Am I correct in my understanding? Who would I have to talk to once I get my Certification to get authorization to do that?

ryan

LEO/MIL is a bit different. Contact Chelly, and she’ll put you in contact with John Paschall, or someone else who can help you.

[email protected]

aflt

Military/LE is a bit different. You can get certified as an agency instructor, which authorizes you to teach the curriculum you were trained in to your agency (i.e. the unit you work for). For me, that is the Air Force Security Forces (military police). I also teach (I made sure I’d received authorization for this from Londale Theus) associated units, such as the Air Force O.S.I. (office of special investigations). However, I don’t teach the stuff to none-law enforcement types, unless it’s someone specifically deploying to a danger zone. Then I will show then some basic rifle fighting techniques.

I know there have been quite a few military units from all of the services who sent people through the Force Protection Division to become agency instructors. As mentioned before, they (Force Protection) can provide you a list of agencies who’ve been trained, and perhaps you can find someone near you. Even better, try and go through the certification process yourself. It’s awesome, and can only enhance the military units and their skill levels. . .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: